ROSEWINDOWS

MelPriceRoundelWOS

This project involved the removal, restoration and installation of a small top light from a Victorian house.  

 

I measured the panel and prepared a piece of glass to temporary glaze the space whilst I completed the restoration.

 

The panel had become very brittle and I had to use masking tape in an attempt to stop the pieces crumbling further or falling out whilst I removed the old beading and eased the panel away from the putty.

 

As seen in the photographs, this panel, only a foot square, included some very small and delicate glass pieces.  Some glass was already completely missing even when the panel was in situ.

 

I sourced the nearest glass and lead matches possible for the repairs.  The panel was then taken apart.  A small part of the central section was still sound and rather than risk damaging glass by taking it apart completely, I cleaned off the old solder joints and strengthened them with new lead solder.

 

I cleaned the bulk of the glass pieces and using these and the dimensions taken on site I drew a cartoon to work up the panel.

 

The third photograph shows the restored panel on my workbench and in the final shot, it can be seen back in situ.  I was delighted with the end result.  The substituted glass and lead are barely noticeable, making this a high quality, honest restoration piece.

Lapworth

ARKITEKT

   ROSEWINDOWS

Priory b Priory c Priory d Priory a