This project has included both restoration and rebuild work over a period of time.  In the sequence of photos shown, the door panel had been smashed.  


I photographed the panel in situ and took measurements and details of the other three panels either side of the door as well as in the other door pane to match the design lines.


Because the panel had been so badly damaged at the top, I needed a good paper pattern so that the rebuild would be a sound fit.


When the panel was removed from the door, the shaped section was completely collapsed and without the paper template I would have been unable to produce a satisfactory replacement off site.


Initially I hoped to be able to restore the top section only, but the panel had been repaired previously and the lead and solder was so brittle once removed, that I advised the client that a complete rebuild would be more cost effective, as well as more robust in future.  


I was able to replace the obscure clear glass with like for like as the design is still readily available.  For the green and red sections I had to source a close match to the original.  


I drew a template based on the one I had made on site and rebuilt the panel with a mix of salvaged and new glass as well brand new lead came, solder and cement for strength and durabilty.


Back on site the client asked me to install toughened glass to the outside of each of the main panels to reduce the likelihood of future damage.  


This involved taking templates of these panels in situ and laising with a local glazier to get the toughened glass pieces produced.


Once the toughened glass was ready I removed the other door panel and side panels and installed the toughened glass with the leaded panels to the inside.


The finished work can be seen in the final photograph.






Brays Lane b Brays Lane a Brays Lane c Brays Lane d